Excerpts from HELL FROM HEAVEN
Leonard Streitfeld, Bombardier, 600th Squadron
Below is an index to excerpts from HELL FROM HEAVEN by Leonard Streitfeld. Leonard was a B-17 bombardier in the 398th Bomb Group, 600th Squadron during WWII. He flew with the Shimek Crew.
During the winter of 2003-04, Leonard provided these exciting excerpts from his book to the 398th web page in response to our request for personal histories from 398th veterans.
HELL FROM HEAVEN Excerpts
- Cover Page
- Chapter 18: Mission 6 and a Big Loss - January 23, 1945
- Chapter 19: Mission 7 - Frightening - January 28, 1945
- Chapter 20: Mission 8 - Berlin - February 3, 1945
- Chapter 22: Mission 10 - A Quirk of Fate - February 22, 1945
- Chapter 30: Mission 26 - Terrifying bombing mission to Derben - April 8, 1945
- Chapter 31: Mission 27 - Another Quirk of Fate - April 9, 1945
- Chapter 32: Mission 28 - A Tragic Day - April 13, 1945
- Chapter 33: Mission 29 - A Near Collision - April 19, 1945
- Chapter 34: Mission 30 - The Cold Feet Mission - April 21, 1945
- Chapter 35: Mission 31 - Pilsen, Czechoslovakia, Our Last Combat Mission - April 25, 1945
- The Shimek Crew List
- Shimek's Crew - 600th Squadron - 23 January 1945
- HELL FROM HEAVEN by Leonard Streitfeld, Hammonton, New Jersey. Library of Congress Catalogue card number: 94-092215. HELL FROM HEAVEN is available in the 398th PX.
- For further information see the HELL FROM HEAVEN website.
- Return to the 600th Squadron section of our 398th Veteran's WWII Personal Histories page.