398th Bomb Group
"Together Again in 2010"
Hear ye, hear ye, adventure awaits.
Please join me for “Together Again in 2010” a journey back to the Czech Republic and Station 131 for activities in honor of the Greatest Generation and the 65th Anniversary of the end of WWII.
In 2008 I represented the 398th BGMA at Air Stars 2008 in Slany, CZ at the site of the Christensen Memorial. The Czech people are so friendly, welcoming, warm and most thankful for the sacrifices made by those who served in WWII to guarantee their freedom. Because of the tireless work of people like Jan Zdiarsky and Jaromir Khout the memory of the men of the Christensen crew, as well as so many others, will live on even when the last of the WWII veterans has passed. The Czech Republic is absolutely beautiful and throughout the country there are memorials big and small dedicated to those who gave so much. An absolute must see.
Adventure also awaits us upon our return to Nuthampstead. Along with the services at the Woodman and St. George’s, visits to Duxford, Madingley and “Wally’s Tour” be prepared for some surprises being cooked up by Ozzie!!!! The plans are top secret and he wouldn’t even give me a hint as to what is being planned. 2008 tour escapades included visits to Horham home to the 95th BG, the Thorpe Abbotts Tower Museum and former home of the “Bloody Hundreth,” Bassingbourne home of the 91st BG, and still an active British base, and then a wild ride via motor coach to the 355th FG Memorial at Steeple Morden. WOW!!!
Itinerary for “Together Again in 2010” - Czechoslovakia Itinerary
- June 8 – Depart USA for Prague.
- June 9 – Group arrives in Prague and will be privately transferred to the Grand Majestic Plaza Hotel near Old Town.
- June 10 – Short panoramic tour of Prague then to Kovarska to visit the Museum of the Battle Over the Ore Mountains. Museum director Jan Zdiarsky is a great friend of the 398th and is dedicated to locating both survivors and wreckage from the battle of September 11, 1944.
Group then heads for Plzen (Pilsen) where we will stay at the Hotel Continental in the city’s historic center.
- June 11 – Full day of sightseeing including the Skoda Works Museum and the Patton Memorial Museum.
- June 12 – Group will visit Slany, home of the Christensen Memorial, for Air Stars 2010. Lt. Donald Christensen’s sons, Don Jr. and Steve and grandson Jeff, will be with us to honor the bomber’s crew lost 65 years ago.
Group then returns to Prague and the Grand Majestic Hotel.
- June 13 – Group tours Litice and will visit the Ferguson Memorial.
- June 14 – Departure for home or on to London for those continuing with the tour.
Net package include 5 nights in hotels including VAT and service, 5 breakfasts, private coach, tour guide/translator and private transfers.
Due to the devaluation of the dollar the cost of the Pilsen, Czech Republic portion of the trip has, unfortunately, increased to $1031.00 for a shared room and to $1345.00 for single occupancy. If I have 15 confirmed travelers the cost is slightly reduced: $1025.00 shared, $1231.00 single.
Itinerary for “Together Again in 2010” - England Itinerary
- Monday 14th June group arrives in London.
Kensington Close Hotel
- Tuesday 15th June Bletchley Park, Enigma Museum.
Return to Kensington Close Hotel. Evening free.
- Wednesday 16th June IWM Lambeth – Holocaust exhibit.
Motor coach arrives at 1730h 16th Century ‘Sword in Hand’ pub for wine and cheese reception with FONA (Friends of Nuthampstead Airfield). Coach arrives at Crowne Plaza Hotel at 2015.
- Thursday 17th June – ‘The Mighty Eighth Day’ – 2nd and 3rd Air Divisions. Lunch at the inn where Clark Gable stayed while filming for the 8th AAF. Carvery dinner at the ‘Flying Fortress Pub’ once home to the 94th BG. For those not wishing to join us for ‘Adventures with Ozzie’ this can be a free day for shopping, punting, visiting the colleges.
B, L and D
- Friday 18th June – Madingley, Cambridge American Military Cemetery to lay a wreath and remember all who paid the ultimate sacrifice. Then to IWM, Duxford for the remainder of the afternoon.
B, lunch on own at Duxford
- Saturday 19th June – Service of Remembrance at the memorials. Lunch at the Woodman Inn followed by ‘Wally’s Tour’ of AAF Station 131. Weather permitting, 2 or 3 light aircraft may be available to take people for flights around Nuthampstead. We intend this to be an afternoon of relaxation so folks can sit around and chat, meet FONA.
- Sunday 20th June – Service of Communion at St. George’s, Anstey. Private, light lunch in typical English afternoon tea format with invited friends. Farwell dinner, details to be determined.
B, L, D
- Monday 21st June – Depart for home. Motor coaches to Heathrow and Gatwick Airports
Land cost for the 8 days in England is $2700 per person for a shared room.
If you have any input, ideas or questions please contact Ann Collins, our stateside 398th "Together Again in 2010" organizer.