- 398th Mission No. 161, Chemnitz, Germany, 5 March 1945
- Aircraft flown: 43-38631 N7-T, Tondelayo
- Aircraft in photo: probably 43-38631 N7-T, Tondelayo
- Photo Date: 5 March 1945
- Photo Location: Nuthampstead
- Photo Reference No. A9241/JW
- Information compiled by UK Friends of the 398th with thanks to Ray Rosamilia. Also thanks to Jeffrey Kite who identified his grandfather, D.W. Kite, for us.
- If you would like to add information about this photograph, please contact our Crew Photos Coordinator. Please mention the title and photograph date.
- The Ellis Crew was shot down on 14 March 1945. 398th Mission: 14 March 1945 to Osnabruk, Germany
- Jeffrey Kite told us that his grandfather, D.W. Kite, was not with the Ellis crew when they were shot down. It was a story Jeff's grandfather told over and over again, that he had traded places with another radio operator so that operator could get his last mission in. That unlucky radio operator was T/Sgt. James G. Schofield.. however he must have had a bit of luck since he managed to bailout and was blown clear when his B-17 exploded in mid-air.