- 398th Mission No. 1 Sottevast, France 6 May 1944
- Aircraft in photo: unknown, only propeller is in view
- Photo Date: 6 May 1944. While the photo is labeled 7-5-44 First Mission (7 May 1944), extensive research and input from Harold L. Brown, 398th Group Navigator at the time indicates that 7 May 1944 was the date the photo was processed. The 398th's first mission was 6 May 1944 to Sottevast. Keith Anderson who flew on the 6 May mission indicates that the above event took place after their return and after the pilots went to briefing.
- Photo Location: Nuthampstead
- Photo Reference No. 398th First Mission 01
- Colonel Hunter flew on the 398th's first mission to Sottevast, France on 6 May. However, the 398th did not drop their bombs due to bad weather, as clouds obstructed the target.
- Information compiled by UK Friends of the 398th with thanks to Keith Anderson, Lee Bradley, Harold Brown, Ruthanna Doerstler, Dave Jordan, Allen Ostrom, Bruce Peirce, and Geoff Rice
- If you would like to add information about this photograph, or can identify any of the additional men, please contact our Crew Photos Coordinator. Please mention the title and photograph date.